Food Junkie || Carrot Cake topped with Cashew, Almond and Pecans

August 25, 2014

It was my Papa's birthday yesterday. Figured that the best gift that I can give him is anything but store bought. Baked with love and gave my all for this. Thank God I was able to pull it off! I got this delish recipe by Tammy Elliott from Allrecipes.com here. It wasn't my first time to bake but it is indeed my first in making a cake. Thankfully, my sister, who once made me a birthday cake too, helped me. 





Followed every instruction from the recipe except a few revisions according to what's available in my local grocery. It was a bit peculiar that I've actually been to three groceries and they have no stock of Vanilla extract! So, I changed it into lemon extract. Honestly, I really don't know how much it would be a difference considering only 2 teaspoons required. Then when I got to taste the cake, I realized that I can really taste the lemon flavoring. Nevertheless, it was delicious! 


I admit, it's a bit burnt and toasted but it's totally alright. Lol. 



Cut it into two so that there would be 2 layers. 









Wasn't able to buy pecans, aside from it's expensive here, I couldn't find any in our local grocery stores. 


Got this bowl idea from MomOnTimeout here. Totally helpful and creative!



Tada!

Aside from the cake, my siblings prepared breakfast for the whole family before going to church. They made skewered fruits (Kiwi, Grapes, Strawberries), Pandesal with scrambled eggs and sausage and Strawberry and Lemon water. 

Why did I choose Carrot Cake for my Papa's birthday cake? My father's not actually a fan of sweets and I decided to make a cake that's not too chocolate-y. Plus, my sister already baked Blueberry Cheesecake the other week and I didn't want them to be too fed up with it. They were at first bewildered because it's the first time that the family will eat such flavor! Nevertheless, they loved it. My only problem with the recipe is that for my family's taste, it was a bit too sweet. So I recommend if you want to try out this recipe and not a fan of too much sweetness, lessen the sugar on the batter since there's already sweetness on the frosting.  

Hope this helped! And thank you so much for taking the time to read! 

Talk soon!

xx Elana

Up Next: Food Junkie DIY|| Easy & Healthy Granola and Fruit Parfait
Soon: Food Junkie || Home made Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Stay tuned, beauts! ;)


No comments :

Post a Comment